Thursday, October 24, 2013

Rise and Shine!


... or maybe not.  Yesterday I did not rise and shine.  I was supposed to either do a Master's swim at UT or drive out to Pass-A-Grille in St. Pete for a group OWS.  I looked at the weather forecast for Wednesday and it looked like there would be thurderstorms in the AM.  So, I said, "I'm just going to go ahead and sleep in and I'll go later.  It'll be more fun to go with a group and do open water training anyway."  But... driving through 5 o'clock traffic for 40 miles is no bueno.  What did I do.  I talked myself out of it.  Too far, I don't want to waste the gas for 30 minutes, Daniel is probably going to want dinner, my new laptop that my super awesome fiancĂ© bought me so I would stop complaining about the current crappy one is supposed to be here right around that time and it needs to be signed for (of course it didn't come until 8 PM and the driver never asked for a signature).  I mean, the excuses were almost endless.

 Today, I was this close >< to going straight back to bed.  My alarm went off at 5:00 AM and this is what happened over the next 25 minutes:

- "what is that noise? Oh, my alarm..."
- go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet for 5 minutes trying to decide how tired I REALLY am
- decide that I'm too tired to get in a good swim and will just put on my run clothes and get in the 40 min, not easy, treadmill run because if I don't do it now I won't have time to do it later.  Lunch time is taken up by a meeting with Jon and after work is the Bucs game -- priorities!
- put on clothes and think, I'm going to go lay back down on the couch for a bit.  I am going to get done with my run and come back too early and be sitting here twiddling my thumbs wide awake
- get downstairs and think, "well, I'm awake now.  Might as well just go swim and run after"
- go back upstairs, change and grab my gym back to throw my run clothes in it
- 6:25 AM - left home to swim at LA Fitness and run on the treadmill after.  SUCCESS!

My thought process and activities of the above 25 minutes are pretty common.  I've been known to just lay back down on my bedroom floor as uncomfortable as possible while arguing with myself on how tired I really am, how good an effort I can put in to my workout for the morning and is the extra 40 minutes of sleep worth missing my workout.  That is usually the deciding factor for me.  Sometimes I've already missed a workout for the week.  Like yesterday.  So, if I miss another one, I am all sorts of grumpy.  If I get into the workout and it's just not happening, then I scale it back and do what I can because a shitty workout is better than no workout in my mind when I've already missed one. 

Are you wondering what happened with today's workout? 
All that fuss and it was awesome. 

2400m swim - MS X 2, 30 seconds rest between each 200 and 2 min rest after 1st time through MS:
  • 150 steady, 50 fast - total time 1) 1:41, 2) 1:34
  • 100 steady, 100 fast - total time 1) 1:35, 2) 1:32
  • 50 steady, 150 fast - total time 1) 1:31, 2) 1:30
  • 200 fast - total time 1) 1:27, 2) 1:25
BOO-YAH!

How did the run pan out?
Let's see:
race pace = 6:31 min/mi, easy jog = 10:00 min/mi
10 min w/u @ 9:15
2 min @ 5k race pace, 1 min easy jog
3 min @ 5k race pace, 1 min easy jog
4 min @ 5k race pace, 1 min easy jog
5 min @ 5k race pace, 1 min easy jog
7 min @ 8:34
5 min c/d @ 9:15

WOOT-WOOT!

Love this video which kind of sums up what my mornings are like 99% of the time when I have to get up early to workout ... which is most days; and what usually happens when I get past the morning struggle.  Enjoy!

"Probably the most motivational video you'll see this week!"


No comments:

Post a Comment