Tuesday, August 21, 2012

PB&J and Banana Omelet


Last Sunday after our long run, I was lying in bed watching reruns of Diners, Dives, and Drive-Ins on Food Network.  One of the episodes I caught featured a diner in Kansas City that had a peanut butter and jelly omelet on its menu.  In my perfect world, a balanced diet would consist of Skippy peanut butter & Smuckers strawberry jelly on Wonder Bread and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and not much else, so needless to say, when I saw a slightly healthier and higher protein method of eating my beloved pb&j, I was intrigued.  I finally got around to whipping up my own version, and it’s definitely something that will become a regular in my post-workout breakfast rotation.


For the eggs:
1 cup egg whites
3 packets Truvia
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cream of tartar
Splash of peanut butter extract
½ large banana

For the peanut butter sauce:
1 tbsp peanut flour
2 tbsp water, milk, etc. (I used unsweetened flax milk)
1 packet Truvia or sweetener of choice

1 tbsp jelly, thinned out with just enough water to make a sauce (I used Smucker's® Sugar Free Strawberry Preserves with Truvia)

Make the peanut butter sauce by whisking the peanut flour, Truvia, and flax milk together.  Add a splash of water to the fruit preserves and whisk together.  It may be necessary to microwave for 15 – 20 seconds to get the water and preserves incorporated.

Heat a skillet over medium heat.  Spray lightly with cooking spray.

Blend the egg whites, Truvia, baking powder, and cream of tartar with a hand mixer or immersion blender until light and frothy.  Add the egg whites to the preheated pan.  Once the eggs are mostly set, carefully flip over.  Slice the banana over one half of the eggs.  Drizzle the peanut butter sauce over the bananas and fold the eggs in half over the bananas and peanut butter sauce.  Put the omelet on a plate, drizzle with the fruit sauce, and enjoy!

Nutrition information calculated on Sparkrecipes.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment