Thursday, October 25, 2012

Cherry Almond Cheesecake Mousse

This Peanut Butter Cheesecake Mousse from Cara’s Cravings has been one of my go-to snacks ever since I first came across the recipe. It’s a great way to get in some protein post-workout, and it works equally well as a bedtime snack. Sometimes I refrigerate it and eat it in mousse form; other times I freeze it and enjoy it more like an ice cream treat. I’ve used virtually every variety of peanut butter known to man while making it – my favorite version is made with Archer Farms Creamy Cinnamon Peanut Butter. The other day I was flipping through old issues of Clean Eating Magazine when I stumbled upon one of my favorite clean desserts – clafouti! Looking at the picture reminded me of how much I enjoy the cherry & almond combo, and I realized it would translate well into a protein treat.

mousse 2

Cherry Almond Cheesecake Mousse

Adapted from here
Makes 2 Servings

10 oz 2% fat cottage cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons almond butter
2 tablespoons cherry preserves (I used Smucker’s Sugar Free)
Truvia or sweetener of your choice, to taste (I like things really sweet, so I used 6 packets of Truvia)
1/4 tsp almond extract

Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth. 

Calories: 199
Fat: 10g
Carbohydrates: 16g
Protein: 14g
Calculated on Sparkrecipes.com


mousse 1

This turned out better than I anticipated. It was rich and smooth with a strong almond flavor, and the cherry preserves added a fruity lightness to the mousse. I love that it kept me full until lunch after an early morning high intensity gym session.

Speaking of the gym, here’s the quick interval workout I completed before meeting up with my boxing trainer for our weekly session.



I didn’t want to completely wear myself out before boxing, so I ran the sprints at 10 mph and recovered at 3 mph. Today’s cardio-heavy workout was a welcome change after three days of lifting heavy. This week has probably been the best week of training I’ve had in a while; I’m hoping the trend continues since there’s only a little more than a month left before we run Vegas!

No comments:

Post a Comment