Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Upper Body Workout and Baked Fresh Fig & Ricotta Oatmeal

I had a wonderfully relaxing vacation in Minnesota with my friends and family. It was hard to say goodbye to everyone and bid farewell to sleeping in as late as I wanted and to eating all the things I can’t get here in Florida, but one thing that made it a little easier was knowing I would be able to get back to one of my happy places – the gym! I decided it was probably wise to ease myself back into training mode, so I came up with this simple workout that allowed me to get in the 5 miles called for on my marathon training plan as well as hit my upper body a little bit.
Upper Body Chipper

While completing this workout, I ended up running 5.25 miles in just under 40 minutes, and I used an 8lb medicine ball for the situps to make them a bit more challenging. The first few rounds were pretty tough, but I liked knowing that each subsequent round was going to be slightly easier. By the time I got to the last round, it felt like a cake walk!

When I got home, I helped myself to a serving of this tasty baked oatmeal.

fig oatmeal 1

Fresh Fig Baked Oatmeal with Ricotta

Makes 6 Servings

130 grams fresh figs, chopped
1 ¾ cups rolled oats
¼ cup buckwheat
¼ cup pepitas, toasted
¼ cup shelled pistachios, chopped & toasted
¼ cup walnuts, chopped & toasted
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves, ground
1/8 tsp salt
12 packets of Truvia Natural Sweetener
2 tbsp Ideal Brown No Calorie Sweetener
¼ cup egg whites
¼ cup fat free ricotta cheese (I used Calabro)
1 ½ cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of your choice)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray an 11x7 baking dish with non-stick spray.

Place the rolled oats, buckwheat, nuts, baking powder, spices, Truvia, Ideal Brown Sweetener, and salt in a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine.

In another bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, almond milk, and egg whites. Whisk until the ricotta is incorporated into the liquid.

Scatter the chopped figs in the prepared pan. Spread the oat mixture over the top. Slowly pour the wet ingredients over the oats, ensuring that all the oats are evenly soaked. Bake for 30 -35 minutes until the oatmeal appears set.

Calories: 238
Fat: 10g
Carbohydrates: 37g
Protein: 10g
Calculated on Sparkrecipes.com

The oatmeal is sturdy enough to be cut into squares and eaten out of your hand, however, when I was shopping at Trader Joe’s in Minnesota, I came across this jar of awesome deliciousness.

fig butter

So this morning I warmed up a portion of oatmeal in the microwave and combined it with a sauce comprised of fig butter, fat free ricotta, and unsweetened almond milk. The result may not look all that appealing, but it tasted fantastic!

fig oatmeal 2

I love baked oatmeal. It is relatively simple to make, it can be customized based on the fruits and nuts that are on hand, and I can make it over the weekend and have breakfast ready to go all week. I'm going to be sad tomorrow when I finish up the last bit of this combo!

No comments:

Post a Comment